Created by Jostein Medhus as part of the 2014 SKREI
Pickled red onion
- Heat the milk to 80 °C, add garlic, fennel seeds, pepper corns and bay leaves then simmer for 15 minutes. Leave the milk to cool to room temperature and add the sugar and salt, stir until dissolved. Submerse the Skrei fillets for about 10-15 minutes then rinse in cold water and pat dry with kitchen roll.
- Cut the fish into portions and bake at 130ᵒc until 46-48ᵒc core temperature.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and fennel salt before serving.
2. Green puree
- Simply blanch the spinach and leaf parsley then puree in a blender with the watercress.
- Heat the mixture with butter then season with salt and pepper.
- Peel both types of artichokes and cook them separately until tender then leave them to cool.
- Cut into bits-sized chunks and when ready to serve gently heat them through in a pan with butter, season with salt and pepper.
4. Jerusalem Artichokes
- Peel and cut the potato and Jerusalem artichoke, bake both with butter in the oven at 170ᵒc until tender and golden.
- Put the roasted vegetables in a blender, add cream and puree.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve and adjust the consistency with milk.
- When ready to serve, reheat and season to taste then transfer to a foam maker and add gas. Pipe the mixture onto the plate when serving.
5. Pickled red onion
- Mix the water, sugar, salt and vinegar and drop the onions into the solution.
- Bring to the boil and cook until tender then cool in the brine.
- Split the onions in half and warm in butter before serving.
6. Sherry sauce with sago
- Sauté the shallots in 50g of the butter and put them to one side.
- Heat the remaining 10g of butter until it turns brown.
- Next mix the sherry vinegar and sherry and reduce the liquid.
- Reduce the chicken stock in a pan
- Mix the stock and sherry reduction with the shallots and brown butter, Sago, mustard and chervil and gently heat.
- Crispy Skrei skin Remove the skin from Skrei and clean it. Cook the skin in salted water until tender, then cook at 80ᵒc until dry and hard. Next, deep fry the skin in hot oil (190-200ᵒc) sprinkle with salt and crack in desired shapes.
- Dried Capers Rinse the capers in cold running water for 1 hour, strain thoroughly and bake in the oven at 100ᵒc for 3 hours or until dry. Sprinkle on top of fish before serving.
- Crisp Jerusalem artichoke Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and grate them using a coarse grater. Dry the vegetable then deep fry until crisp and golden, remove from the oil, sprinkle with salt and sprinkle on top of the Skrei.